Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Hey, God?


I thought I knew the man he was the day 
I married him. That gentle, ever-so-protective cowboy who chose me, out of all people, to buy a ring for...I thought I could never
 be more in love with him than on the day 
I wore that white dress. 



But God? There were so many things I didn't know. That voice that promised at the alter to cherish me and give all of himself all the 
time? I didn't know how it would sound 
when three months later it sang hymns 
to me in bed until I fell asleep.


Those hands that held mine so tightly as he slipped the custom made diamond ring on -- I had no idea how they would feel when he held my hair back as I threw up with morning sickness.  I couldn't have imagined the shine of pride in those brilliant eyes when I rode a colt I had broke under his patient teaching. 


And when I said "I do" on that sunny day in May, I had no idea that three years and two sons later I could love him so.very.much.more 
than I already did.




I knew he would spoil me, God. But I didn't expect him to buy me pearls for my first Mother's Day, and garnets when that second son was born in January. He promised to honor me and I knew he would, but I didn't know that honor would spill off his tongue every time he talked about me. That rugged, calloused-hand horse trainer...I didn't know how gentle he could be when holding his four-pound son, or praying with that two-year-old. 


God, you were there; you heard me tell him I would share myself with him for the rest of my life. I called him best friend. But I just didn't know that this is the life he would build, and that a best friend could be like this. I thought I knew. I vowed my entire self because I thought I knew him. 


So God, I just have one thing to say to you as I celebrate that completely-cherished Lover-man on his birthday today. I've said it before, but every day I mean it more:



  Thanks a million billion, God. 
You really outdid yourself on this one.















No comments:

Post a Comment