Thursday, September 8, 2011

"No tank you"

I have a wonderful life. I know this very well, but I was extra convinced of it on a shopping trip to Wal-Mart a couple days ago. I walked in the door and the first thing I saw was a big sign that advertised camping gear on sale. A little further there were new styles of clothes on the racks and school supplies in the middle of the isles. Marketing really is a tricky business, but the professionals at Wal-Mart have it figured out. They have a way of making me feel like I not only need what they have, but that I can afford it. They're not different than any other company, really. Sometimes I feel bombarded by media during the day. I drive to the barn to do chores and there are advertisements everywhere. I go to the post office and there are billboards, signs in front of businesses, sales advertised on windows, specials on fast food marquees. In the mailbox are coupons, newspapers and magazines with creative slogans to make me feel like I really do need what they sell. Everyone is trying to make money and they all want a little of mine.


Fortunately I've learned a thing or two about resisting a culture driven by wanting, shopping and spending. Dave Ramsey helped a lot, and now that I'm married and living on a tighter budget than I was when I was single I'm very thankful for the tactics I've learned. I'm sure I'm a marketers worst nightmare. To keep my mind on my budget when I walked into Wal-Mart, I looked at things on the shelf and said to myself, "I have one of those." I very quickly felt like I didn't need anything but the groceries on my list. I really think I own half of their store. I can walk into any department and see something that's in my house. I own their socks, their shampoo, I have a shirt of theirs, some towels, a picture frame, a sheet set, a box of nails, a movie, a package of pens, a pair of shoes, a sprinkler, a pair of earrings, a fishing pole, a scrapbook and plenty of groceries.


When it comes right down to it, buying the things that are so carefully marketed wouldn't add to my life. It would take away from it. Then I'd have to have a bigger house and more storage. Warren would have to work more or I'd have to get a job. Life would become cluttered. My nephew Everett would say, "No tank you."


I really have a wonderful life. I think I'll keep it that way.











No comments:

Post a Comment