Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So...

...I have a confession to make:

I have a fetish with office supplies. I know, it's weird, and Warren raised an eyebrow at me when I admitted that to him this morning. But seriously...new notebooks are the best thing ever and I could get addicted to them. The same thing goes with new pens and highlighters. I love binders and folders and journals especially. When people ask me what I want for Christmas I can't quite spit out the words, "A gift certificate to Office Max," but I really want to.

Today I organized our businesses (yes, we have four--both Warren and I are too adventurous to stick to one home business). I had brand new, colorful hanging files, a Sharpie, a filing cabinet, two binders and a large stack of papers. I know my husband thinks I was slaving away as I copied and filed and sorted and labeled and slowly whittled away at the overwhelming amount of paperwork. Secretly, I was having the time of my life. In my opinion that's the best part of running a business anyway.

If my computer were letting me upload pictures I would share a glimpse of my day's accomplishment with my perfectly organized, color-coordinated filing cabinet. As I can't upload pictures right now (hence the lack of three and four-month pictures of Wesley, as well as several other post ideas I have to share), you'll just have to imagine how much of a masterpiece it is...everything labeled with black Sharpie...red files for Jennings Quarter Horses, green for Integrity Bookkeeping, orange for Mobile Mechanic, yellow for the books I've written...legal paperwork all put neatly in the back file...horse contracts freshly printed and ready to sign...business cards waiting to be handed out...  I may be the only person in my family who is totally inept at art, but that filing cabinet might as well have Michelangelo's signature on it.

The most disappointing part of all of this is that I don't have more paperwork to organize tomorrow. It'll likely be the end of the week before my magnum opus gets opened again. If only I could have a job where I got to buy office supplies and use them every day.

Ah, blast it all...I'm starting another business.






2 comments:

  1. You should start a business as a home and office organizer...then you can buy all the office supplies and storage bins that you want and it's all with someone else's money!!! That is my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avery, you can come on over any day and organize my paperwork, files, bills, bank statements, (wait, you already do that!), and anything else lying around!

    ReplyDelete